Safety tips for residents on RAGBRAI days:
- You may have a hard time on entering and/or crossing the road on the RAGBRAI route. Please plan accordingly and limit automobile use on the marked bicycle routes.
- If you park on the side of the road, please be careful when opening car door, bicycles may be close to your car.
- Young cyclists may want to follow along, but will only make the ride more dangerous. Please keep children away from the road and pathway of RAGBRAI.
- For the safety of your pets and the riders, please keep pets (or other animals) penned or leashed.
- Don’t spray riders with water unless you ask them first. Many riders will not want to get wet and it may distract a rider and cause a crash.
- Don’t try to hand anything to riders. No high-fives. It may distract the rider and cause a crash.
- Please try to keep the sides of the road and shoulder clear of objects or debris.
Safety tips for RAGBRAI riders:
- ALWAYS wear a helmet!
- Always be aware of other bikes around you.
- Make no sudden turns. Always look behind you for other traffic and signal the turn. Always turn from the appropriate lane.
- Pull off to the side of the road before stopping and call out “STOPPING”.
- When entering the route, wait for an opening and call out “BIKER ON” when entering.
- ALWAYS call out “passing on your left/right/middle” before passing other bikes.
- Stay as far right as practical for your speed relative to the other bicycles near you.
- Be aware of road conditions: cracks, rough surface, holes, and railroad tracks.
- Be aware of vehicles on the route and move over to make room for them.